To all our research ethics customers:
There are some changes to the way in which you book your study to a Health and Social Care Research Ethics Committee meeting (HSC REC) and submit your application and supporting documentation.
From Monday 19 May 2014, all applications and supporting documentation will be submitted electronically via IRAS and all studies should be booked by telephone to the HSC REC meetings via a new Central Booking telephone number 0161 6257836.
Studies which are Phase 1 Clinical Trials of Investigational Medicinal Products (Phase 1 CTIMPS) involving healthy volunteers may still be booked by phoning the ORECNI staff on Telephone Number: 028 9260 3107.
Please continue to phone the ORECNI staff if you have any questions or queries about the process of ethical review, our experienced staff are still here to help all our customers.
Dr Siobhan McGrath
(Head of the Office for Research Ethics Committees Northern Ireland)
To maintain a Research Ethics Service to protect the rights, dignity and welfare of research participants within the HSC System/NHS, and to protect the rights of researchers to perform ethical research and legitimate investigation.
- To support the HSC RECs and link with the National Research Ethics Service (NRES)
- Ensure the HSC RECS comply with governance arrangements as set out in the Northern Ireland Research Governance Framework, GAfREC and the UK Clinical Trials Regulation (2004)
- Provide training and administrative support to the HSC RECs
- Ensure all stakeholders understand arrangements
- Develop and maintain effective working arrangements
Core Business Hours
The ORECNI office business hours for receipt of applications and taking telephone bookings for applications are as follows:Monday - Thursday: 09.00 - 17.00
Friday: 09.00 - 16.00
Contact DetailsOffice Suite 3
Lisburn Square House
1-4 Haslem's Lane
Co Antrim BT28 1TW
Telephone: 028 92 603107
Fax: 028 92 603619
Alternatively you can email your query to: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond as soon as possible.